We are operating as normal > Read our COVID-19 guidance.

Getting Divorced Without an Address For Your Husband or Wife

I want a divorce but I don’t know the address for my husband or wife is a common question we get.

Not knowing where your ex-partner lives does not always mean you are going to have to hire a lawyer to deal with it and spend thousands of pounds getting a divorce.

There are some procedural hoops to get over with the court, but we are experts at dealing with divorces where you don’t know the address of your missing spouse.

We have a missing spouse divorce service for £349 fixed fee, saving you over £1,000 compared to instructing a solicitor.

Before the court will grant you a divorce, you are going to have to show them that you have taken all reasonable steps to try to find an address for your missing spouse, so they can be served with the divorce papers.

If you can find an address for a spouse or a close relative such as a parent or a sibling, we advise you to do so as the divorce papers can sometimes be served on the relative if they are still in touch with each other.

Our friendly divorce advisers can advise you on your options and costs involved with this type of divorce.

Get your free consultation and call us on 01793 384 029

What If you can’t get an address for your husband or wife?

If your husband or wife have moved abroad and there is very little chance of you obtaining their address, the court will usually allow you to proceed with the divorce.

If they are likely to still be in the UK, the court will want you to find the address.

There are a number of different routes you can take and our fixed fee service for £349 will allow you to obtain a divorce.

There are 3 different options that may be relevant to your situation, which we have listed below to give you an idea of how each works.

1) Application for substituted service of the divorce petition

If you know where your spouse works, or where relatives live then you can ask the court for the divorce petition to be served on them instead.

You have to persuade the court that your spouse will become aware of the proceedings using this method, otherwise, you’ll need to follow a different step.

2) Application for a Disclosure order from HMRC

If you have no contact with any of your spouse’s relatives, you can apply to the court for a disclosure order, but only if your spouse last lived in the UK.

This order is made against HM Revenue and Customs and you will need to provide your spouse’s date of birth, NI number if you have it and also their last known address.

HMRC will then look through their database and try to find an address for them. If they find an address they will write to the court.

The court will then send the divorce papers to that address. If they do not respond, the divorce goes through without their consent.

3) Application to Dispense with service of the divorce petition

If your spouse was a foreign national or there is no way of finding them or any relative, then you can apply to the court to dispense with service of the divorce petition.

As with all things, there are additional costs for doing this, and every time you make an application to the court it costs an extra £50.00 over and above the initial £550 for the divorce petition issue fee.

What service can we offer you?

If you want to get divorced but don’t know where your spouse is, we can do that for you for a fixed fee.

You’ll receive a personal service with a dedicated and experienced case manager to take control of your case and ensure it is dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible.

You can also track your case progress online 24/7.

We will advise you of the best route to take based on your individual circumstances and our extensive experience.

Simply call us for a free consultation on 01793 384 029 and find out how to proceed with a divorce where you don’t have an address for your spouse.

A high street solicitor will not usually deal with this kind of work under a fixed fee arrangement and will normally charge around £150 per hour leading to a bill of over £2,000 + VAT on average.

Need help finding the right divorce service?

If you would like help selecting the ideal divorce service for your circumstances and budget, simply message us below for free advice.

9am-5pm Mon-Fri

If you would like advice on finding the right service now, you may be better off speaking to us on live chat, where we have advisors ready to help you.

Click Here To Chat To Us Now

Speak to an Advisor

Speak to our team for a friendly and competitive service.

01793 384 029

Call our team free on mobiles and landlines

Mondays-Friday 9am-5pm

Which Service?

Got a question?

Request Callback

Our advisors will point you in the right direction.

Missing Spouse Divorce FAQs

Why do I need to try and locate my spouse?

A marriage is based on a partnership so even if you have been seperated for a number of years your ex-partner is still entitled to see a copy of the divorce papers.

The court will not grant you a divorce unless you have shown them that you have taken the required steps to try and locate your ex-partner, so that they can be served with the divorce papers.

How else can I find my ex-partners address?

Social Media channels such as Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn can be a great way to find your ex-partner or other close family members as the majority of people now use these channels daily.

Missing Spouse Divorce Service for £349.00

Start your journey to obtain your Decree Absolute & Save time and money with the right divorce advice, first time

No need to take time off work

No need to attend court or our offices

Everything is completed online

Track your divorce process online

Callback Request Form

    Request a call back from our experts


    Email Address*

    Phone Number*

    When To Call*

    I am happy to receive communicaton from Divorce Online.

    Click here to chat with us!