Wording of consent order

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by Mark Keenan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

We use the wording until they shall attain the age of 18 years or cease full time secondary education whichever is the later, which covers upto the end of 6th form or college. There is no way it can include University or multiple college courses. This was advised by a senior District judge.

2. Cantona7

Cantona7 New Member

Can anyone help me with how to word the consent order re child maintenance?
    I want to pay 20% of my salary (CSA guidelines) until my eldest son leaves full-time education, and then 15% until my youngest son leaves full-time education.
    Does this wording 'have' to be in the consent order, or is it taken to be law, that I pay until they finish full-time education? Also, is full-time education taken as being school ie it doesn't include University?
    I am currently paying 22% of my salary. My wife won't agree to putting 20% in the consent order. Any ideas?

3. jandy100

jandy100 New Member

Please DON'T use 'full time education'!

If you see my earlier post you'll know why! Good luck & hope it all works out for you.

4. Direstraits

Direstraits New Member

First, avoid the term "full-time education". The jury's still out on its exact meaning for the purposes of child support. Far better to state maintenance stops at the end of secondary education (i.e., at the end of A levels), or at the finish of a first degree course. Bear in mind that if maintenance stops at the end of secondary education and your sons go on to university, you have the option to make direct payments to the child rather than his mother.

If you and your wife can't agree the percentage of CM you should pay, the matter will need to be decided by a judge, which will increase costs. Personally, whilst I can see from where your wife is coming (that if she agrees to 20% in the order, you'll reduce your payment once it's been rubber-stamped), I would be inclined to stick to the CSA guidelines.