solictor faling to act - what can I do

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by Mark Keenan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

Has the Solicitor dra1n up a consent order to make sure neither party can claim?

If not this is why they are delaying matters. You need to find out who is dealing with the order and why it was not done on or soon after Decree Nisi.

14 months for a simple uncontested divorce is extracting the urine. Even the average Solicitor only takes about 6 months (we take 2.5 -3 months).

Write a letter of complaint to the "Complaints Partner" listing the errors and delays. If you have letters promising actions by dates, then include copies.

If they fail to deal with your complaint properly you can contact The Legal Ombusman who can fine Solicitors and award compensation to you,

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. rach

rach New Member

Hi

I was eligible to apply for decree absolute on Sept 18th, the solicitor sent me a form before this time to get my consent to apply (there are no financial matters, no pensions or anything else), I returned it. Threes week later I got a letter saying that they hadn't applied for the absolute yet as finances were not sorted out - I explained again that there are no finances to sort out and requested the absolute be applied for immediately. It is now November 21st. I still don't have my divorce and I haven't heard a thing from them. Is there anything I can do?

They were also extremely lax in chasing up my ex who refused to send back the paperwork - this simple divorce with no financial concerns has taken nearly 14 months so far and i still don't know when it will happen.

Would I have a case against this solicitor or is it normal for an uncontested divorce with no complications to take this long?

Rachel

3. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

You first have to write to the Senior Partner setting out your concerns and asking for a detailed explanation within 7 days or you will refer the matter to the Legal Ombudsman. if you do not get a reply or it is unsatisfactory you can then make a complaint to the LeO here http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/