solicitors witholding MY money

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by LadyUK, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LadyUK

LadyUK New Member

My divorce settlement has just come through, and my solicitor is withholding 5K of it. This was never agreed.

His largest bill, which I have issues with and does not represent the payments already made to him, is only 2,200.

He has stated that he has made over 60 phone calls for my case, and I want proof - he doesn't even update me on the bloody case.

I demanded to see him this afternoon, and have discussed this with the legal complaints service.

I know what he is doing is illegal - is there anyway that I can make him cough up?

Any advice that you can give?

Many thanks in advance.

2. LadyUK

LadyUK New Member

I went to their office and made a scene, refusing to leave until they paid me.

They made me hand over a post dated cheque, which they then tried to cash early, so I cancelled it.

I filed a complaint with the LCS, and the solicitors tried to take me to small claims court, which happened yesterday.

I had the same judge as the one who dealt with my divorce, and he ripped the solicitors a new one, and postponed the decision until the LCS have dealt with the matter (at least 6 months).

The Solicitor made a big mistake in trying to badger me in front of the court clerk both before and after the hearing - of which I suspect is one of the reasons the judge laid into him.

He was also missing any documentation outlining any payment plan, etc. It total, the judge asked for 6 documents, of which were not attached to his claim.

Either way, I am happy to see that it is being resolved.

Keep me updated Luce, and be firm in knowing that what they are doing is illegal, unless you have signed documentation stating differently.

3. LadyUK

LadyUK New Member

LCS = Legal complaints service - the UK ombudsman.
    I would be happy to allow you to quote me - contact me through thegeneva.com

4. Luce

Luce New Member

I am in the same situation. My solicitor is withholding 19,000 pounds of my financial settlement and I am arguing the bill. I have written them a very strong letter and have applied through The Law Society (see internet) for a remuneration certificate. You must do this within one month of the invoice date. Then they can only claim half the invoice pending an inquiry by the Law Society. They have no legal right to keep your money. Try threatening to go to the local press, or go to their office and make a scene. if you stand firm it should work. Will keep you updated, as I have just sent off for a remuneration certificate last week. Waiting for more news now.

5. Luce

Luce New Member

Thanks for the reply. V. glad to hear you have had some success. Who are the LCS? I am also a journalist and am thinking of writing about the solicitor racket, because my own personal list of complaints after two years going through the courts for financial settlement post divorce is actually very very long! I want to lobby for more solicitor accountability. I don't think the Law Society is impartial enough to make a real noise. Would you be prepared to let me quote your case?

6. Luce

Luce New Member

hello again. I have tried the website but cannot get through. Please contact me at this address: turnerle@wanadoo.fr