short childless marriage

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by Mark Keenan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

I am afraid that in the case of short marriages, generally the parties come out with what they went in with or any joint assets accrued. His pension would not be taken into account as the marriage was so short.

2. zaksmum

zaksmum New Member

Hi, please can anyone help? My daughter married last April after 7yrs together and 4 yrs living together. she is a 27yr old teacher and he is a 31yr old policeman.They have a house on mortgage on which is owed £103,000, now worth £165,000. She miscarried their 1st baby in August and although the hospital said all would be fine next time, failed to get pregnant in the following three months. He then announced he couldn't cope with that and went home to his mother. My daughter is devastated as she adored him, which she no longer does as the reality of his behaviour hits home. She wants to stay in her house and he wants half the equity, so she would have to increase her mortgage by about £25,000 to buy him out. Would there be any other financial help she should get from him, given there are no kids? Could she get a bigger share of the equity in return for leaving his pension alone? He has a bond he's has for 10 years due to mature in September worth £60,000; as she has been with him for more than 7 of those years would she have any claim on that? or could she claim any spousal maintenance? The reality is that without anything other than half the equity she will not be able to afford her own house; there are early redemption penalties if they sell, plus various costs, so she'd be left with about £20,000 each in that case. Please please help. My poor daughter is in bits and I don't know how to help her