Expat divorce online from Dubai

Discussion in 'Get Divorce Advice' started by husbandshit, Mar 18, 2013.

1. husbandshit

husbandshit New Member

Hi I am an expat living in Dubai and came on here a few years ago for some advice. Well I am back, with Husband no.2 to divorce. Having used an on line divorce from you guys I am wondering if I can do it again.

I am in Qatar and so is Husband. We are both from England and I will return home at the end of the year. I was looking at the requirements and am a bit confused between the habitual residence and domicile requirements. I think we will be able to use England to divorce but just need some reassurance before I go ahead. Also which package would you suggest? I would like a clean break as we each have our own money and no property to divide.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  2. KirstyB

KirstyB Administrator

The terms residence and domicile have very different meanings you may have been a resident of Dubai for many years and still can be considered to be domiciled in the UK for divorce purposes.

Domicile basically means that you have a ‘legal connection’ with England and that the English courts have jurisdiction to grant you a divorce.

This legal connection continues until it is terminated this could be cutting all ties to England or actively taking out foreign citizenship elsewhere.

It therefore means generally that anyone originally from England or Wales or born in England & Wales can use the English Courts, on the basis that they are ‘domiciled’ in the UK.

Things that indicate domicile are if you were born in England or Wales, hold a British passport, if you have family or major assets in England and if you regard England as your home.

In your circumstances I suggest that you use the managed service so we can deal with the
    courts for you.
    Have you been married more than a year? is your spouse in agreement to the divorce?

If you need to speak to someone please call us on 01793 384 029 or use our live chat service.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015