Does pension i have before we married count?

Discussion in 'Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question' started by James43, Apr 28, 2013.

1. James43

James43 New Member

Will my pension I accrued before the marriage be taken into account in the financial settlement?

Jim

2. KirstyB

KirstyB Administrator

Generally speaking no, the court will have a complete picture of assets including your CETV but will see that you may have had your pension for 20 years and been married 10 it would be reasonable to consider 10/20ths as the consideration as the total years of contribution and total years married are different.

It would not be fair to consider the pension prior to being married. Hope this helps.

Kirsty

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016