Do i need to provide my change of name deed?

Discussion in 'Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question' started by KirstyB, Aug 21, 2013.

  1. KirstyB

    KirstyB Administrator

    Feb 8, 2013
    Likes Received:
    If you have changed your name by deed poll during your marriage to another name that is not either your maiden name or husbands surname then yes this will need to be provided to the court if you are filing for divorce.

    The petition will need to read something as follows...."as Smith (name changed via a change of name deed, the previous surname was Jones)".

    You cannot assume that the name you have now if not your married name or surname can just be put on the petition without the legal document that supports that name change.

    If not the court will question why your surname is different and may refuse the petition if all the documents needed are not provided from the outset.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
Similar Threads: need provide
Forum Title Date
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question How much maintenance do I need to provide for the children? Oct 16, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question What court do I need to use if I do a DIY divorce? Oct 21, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Getting divorced ......Do i need to renew my will once i decide to divorce? Sep 27, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Do I need to leave the marital home whan we divorce? Sep 20, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Questions we are afraid to ask but need to be asked in Divorce Jul 25, 2013

Share This Page