Can we change our minds if we decide not to divorce?

Discussion in 'Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question' started by KirstyB, Sep 23, 2013.

1. KirstyB

KirstyB Administrator

In the eyes of the law, you are still married up until the moment when the decree absolute is pronounced.

The petitioner can stop the divorce proceedings at any point prior to that. You would need to dismiss the petition if you are certain you do not wish to get divorced with the court the divorce was filed at.

This is obviously a decision you would need to be sure of and that you are certain you wish to try and male the marriage work. It is not something you do if you feel pressured or coerced into "giving things another go" especially if your spouse is making you feel guilty.

But any person can stop the divorce proceedings at any stage prior to the final decree absolute being granted as this is the time when the marriage is dissolved.

If you do not dismiss the petition then if some reason you then further down the line decided to continue with the divorce there may be issues in resuming that divorce or if the Respondent in the initial divorce wanted to be the petitioner, as they could not file for divorce if there is another petition in progress elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019