Can I change the locks if we seperate?

Discussion in 'Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question' started by Mark Keenan, Sep 7, 2015.

  1. Mark Keenan

    Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

    Dec 22, 2010
    Likes Received:
    People who are married or in a civil partnership are not allowed to change the locks on their family home, if it has been, the main matrimonial home during the marriage or civil partnership. This is the case whether only one or both of you own or rent the home.

    In these circumstances, neither party has the right to change of locks. You both have a legal right to be in the home and neither of you can exclude the other unless you have been to court and obtained a court order.

    If one of you leaves the home of your own choice, the other partner still cannot change the locks until an agreement has been reached on the future of the home.

    If you and your spouse or civil partner have agreed that one of you will move out temporarily until a more long-term solution has been reached, it's also best to agree when they can enter the home, for example, to collect belongings.

    If the other partner or spouse changes the locks without your agreement, you will be able to get a court order to provide you with a copy of the key.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
Similar Threads: change locks
Forum Title Date
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Can we change our minds if we decide not to divorce? Sep 23, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Do i need to provide my change of name deed? Aug 21, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question Do I need to change my name by deed poll after divorce? May 26, 2013
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question How has divorce changed you? Jan 24, 2011
Divorce FAQ - Frequently Asked Question She's changed her mind... Jan 24, 2011

Share This Page