• search
  • Start My Divorce
  • Our Reviews
  • About Us
  • Case Login
  • Blog
Call us now on: 01793 384 029 Chat with us on live chat | Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Contact Us

What is a Property Adjustment Order or Transfer Order in Divorce?

One of the biggest assets upon divorce is often the matrimonial home. As a result, many of the disputes between divorcing spouses hinge on how to deal with the property upon separation.

Often they will be able to decide between themselves what to do with the property. If they cannot reach an agreement, a court will need to intervene and make a decision on the best course of action.

Property adjustment orders can include orders to transfer property, settle property or vary nuptial settlements, though the transfer of property orders are the most widely used.

The order states how a family home should be dealt with after a divorce. This may result in an immediate transfer of property, or an agreement to transfer the property later, for instance when children finish full-time education or reach the age of 18.

Signing a Property Adjustment Order