Wanted to remain friends. But how do I deal with this?

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by Mark Keenan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

On the legal side, she is not going to get what she wants from a court. The max you will have to pay for child support is 15% net. As for the property it may be that she gets to stay in the house but she will not get more than 50% of the equity on sales. The court will more than likely either give her 75% now but with the balance to be repaid when she remarries or cohabits or when your child is 18. This is called a mesher order. It means you have a charge in any property which is repaid as above.

2. bw1974

bw1974 New Member

Wife kicked me out 7 months ago based on my "unreasonable behaviour"- didn't make her feel special enough apparently, which entitled her to register on dating websites and meet other men behind my back. Have a 21 month year old daughter how I love to bits and I don't want her to suffer. Problem is that my wife (soon to be ex) wants 100% equity from the house and approximately 40% of my net income, which if I accept would leave me worse off than her. I am suggesting 75%/25% split as I need something to get my life going also, but things turning v nasty and my wife is no way going to back down. Almost feel like giving in, as she starting to play emotional games- how can I move my daughter etc.
    I really wanted to be friends, but starting to get really annoyed at constantly being told what a selfish, arrogant, uncaring b*stard I am, when all I did was love her to the best of my abilities.

3. martbert

martbert New Member

I am in a very similar, but more advanced situation, as far as my children's ages go. I'm the wounded party, but I just keep thinking how lucky I am to have escaped from this woman who thought that "going over the side" was acceptable behaviour. If you keep your mind in the now, then the squabbling over percentages just becomes a silly distraction. Freely give her the cash she wants but you gain your pride, integrity, instant peace of mind and you will have a much better life

4. ellie369

ellie369 New Member

I know it's hard not to feel bitter when you are not to blame and i do think she is expecting too much. What is her earning potential once your daughter is older? If you have a well paid job perhaps you could offer her 80% and no spousal maintenance. I have my decree nisi and have yet to agree on finances and I know it's going to get rough. Good luck.

5. henry1974

henry1974 New Member

hi im in the very same situation , my ex wife asked me to leave the home and give her space , 6 months max i agreed if it rectified our marriage two weeks later i had a divorce petition on my door step, she had no intentions of ressolving our marriage problems , and now she taken it to court , for permenant residency of the house and seeking me for maintenace , until children are 18 i have three boys under five , all i asked of her is enough to move on in a new home for my children to stay and enjoy with me . but she said i dont deserve anything and inlaws are fighting for her . its so sad we cant agree on anything as we allways agreed to be friends if it all went sour . and it has and were at locker heads over money .

what do you do ?

6. Mark Keenan

Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member