Ex Moving Abroad

Discussion in 'Men's divorce Issues' started by Mark Partridge, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mark Partridge

Mark Partridge New Member

Hi All,

My ex and I split four years ago and agreed to joint residency (roughly 50/50) of our daughter, now seven. This was written into our 'Arrangements for Children' and our Decree Absolute was granted nearly two years ago without the court having to make any order regarding residency.

I remain on good terms with my ex but she has recently mentioned that she'd like to move to work in Dubai and take our daughter with her. I am opposed to this as it would be so traumatic for our daughter as to be injurious.

Question 1 - Could my ex take our daughter without my consent?

Question 2 - If she went to court seeking a residency order would the court inform me of her application? There's no way she could do it on the quiet without me knowing is there?

I am confident that, given my day in court, I could put forward a case persuasive enough to convince the magistrates that Dubai would be damaging for our daughter. I think my ex realises this too hence my concern about her trying to do things on the quiet.

I posted this to 'Ask the Experts' a week ago to no avail. All help gratefully received.

ATB

Mark.

2. Sally08

Sally08 New Member

If your ex goes for residency you would be informed as have to go to court. You can apply for residency too, or joint residency. Not sure how the move to go abroad would go. You can put a prohibited steps order on her and she would have to fight you in court over it.