How to get a replacement decree absolute.

Discussion in 'Get Divorce Advice' started by Mark Keenan, Nov 5, 2013.

  1. Mark Keenan

    Mark Keenan Administrator Staff Member

    Dec 22, 2010
    Likes Received:
    How to get a replacement decree absolute if you have lost it.

    Over time, people move and documents get lost, and your decree absolute is one document that you will need, especially if you are lucky enough to be getting married again.

    If you still have the name of the court and the case number, then getting a replacement of your decree absolute is quick and simple. All you have to do is give the court a ring and pay over the phone for a copy which will cost you £5.00

    If you can't remember where you were divorced ( and many people cannot remember), then it gets a little trickier.

    A search has to be carried out of the central register of decree absolutes which are held at the Principal Registry Of The Family Division of the High Court in London.

    How much it costs to do the decree absolute search depends on how long you think it was since the decree could have been made.

    There are also many cases where people have been split up a long time and may have been divorced without them even knowing about it. If you then try and file a divorce based on 5 years or more separation, the judge will more then likely insist a decree absolute search is carried out.

    Our advice for people who have been separated for more then ten years is to do a search to see if your ex spouse has already divorced you. This will save you a fortune in divorce costs and court fees.

    Divorce-Online offer a Decree Absolute Certificate search service, with process starting at £95.00 for searches up to ten years. For searches over 10 years call 01793 384 029 as the price will vary.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Share This Page